Locking an app can enhance its security and prevent data from being accessed by other people. You can lock your WhatsApp and other messaging apps to protect your chats, you can lock your banking apps to prevent unwanted transactions.
How to lock apps on Android
Android users with version 7.0 or later have advantages as they have built-in system support to lock apps. Plus, there are tons of apps in the Play Store that let you lock apps using PIN, password, or fingerprint securities.
1. Using built-in system feature
You can lock your Android phone apps using its in-built app locker. This feature is available on the latest smartphones with Android version 7.0 or later.
Steps to lock apps on Android using built-in system feature:
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Find and go to App lock.
- Now, set the lock type—PIN, Password, or Fingerprint. (You can opt for your current screen lock)
- Choose the apps that you want to lock.
2. Using third-party apps
Android smartphones with older system versions do not come with an app locker. You can lock your Android apps using third-party apps available on Play Store.
Steps to lock apps on Android using third-party apps:
- Go to Play Store and download “AppLocker | Lock Apps“.
- Open the app and set up the screen lock by drawing a pattern.
- Then choose a Google account for backup.
- Now tap on the lock icon next to the apps you want to lock.
How to lock apps on iOS
iOS users can lock their apps only by using Face ID or Touch ID. Unlike Android users, they don’t have plenty of third-party app lockers in App Store. Although there some apps such as BioProtect, Locktopus, and AppLocker can be used in Jailbroken iPhones.
1. Using Screen time
You can’t lock an app directly on iOS but you can limit the apps using screen time passcode.
Here are the steps to lock apps on iOS using screen time:
- Open Settings and select “Screen Time“.
- Tap on the name of your iOS device in the upper left-hand corner of the screen
- Find the app that you want to locḳ.
- Tap on “Add Limit” at the bottom of the screen.
- Now enter your Screen Time passcode.
- Now set a limit by using the dials then tap on “Add” in the top right corner.
2. Using Guided Access
The guided access feature in iPhone lets you lock your device except for one app. You can use a guide access passcode to protect other apps while handing your iPhone to someone.
Here are the steps to lock iPhone using the guided access feature:
- Go to Settings and head to “Accessibility“.
- Find and tap on “Guided Access“.
- Now select Passcode and set a passcode for Guided Access lock.
Chandramohan is a tech geek who enjoys writing about the Internet of Things, social media, and emerging technologies. He is an MCA student at GG University in Chhattisgarh with a strong foundation in computer science.